Monday, June 24, 2013

Whats Hot? Its Retro Glamour!


Audrey Hepburn

Kim Kardashian

It looks like retro glamour is in the house!  Its time some fashion history reports! Come Fly with me back in time!  Many young women have been wearing them all over. From cat eye sunglasses to  to skater style dresses. It looks like we have a huge comeback from, the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. mainly according to style.com from Oscar Dela Renta. Some of them are reminding me of the 60's paper doll (America's first lady), Jacqueline Kennedy. She was stunning and fashionable at the same time.  Though she had a Russian born style advisor, Oleg Cassini. She wore Givenchy, Chanel and Balenciaga. Those are three of my favorite high end brands as well! I love Jackie Kennedy's straight dresses and suits, which are currently back in style.  They remind me of the checkered straight dress I saw at a store in Glorietta mall called The Ramp Crossings that was only about PHP 1,075.  But of course it is more modernized in the present and we don't wear them with pill box hats anymore.  From how I have also looked at what is currently being sold in stores itself, is very retro style, with the peplum blazers at Forever 21.  Don't forget Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffanys and Funny Face was also a style icon actress of the decade. She was constantly seen in Cat eye sunglasses in which present day celebrities are also wearing. Audrey Hepburn is also one of my favorite actresses.

Peplum blazers were very popular in the 1940's with glamourous women. Coats at that time were military styled because of World War 2. And did you also know that panty stockings were donated to make parachutes. They were even used as tourniquets in the 2002 film, Pearl Harbor.  

As I mentioned earlier that retro is back this spring/summer 2013. Checkered was also a popular print in the 1960's and there were also many drop waist styles. I even own a studded one myself from Forever 21.  You can wear those sleeveless dresses to look stylish for your office or traveling with a blazer.They are useful for formal presentations as well.  
Peplum suit dresses were popular for business wear in the 1940's- 1950's.  Look below at the red one from Forever 21. It looks like a dress worn by Kate Winslet in the 2008 film, Revolutionary Road. They pretty much make your waist smaller.

We also have a lot of polka dots from the 60's. Take the old sit come, "I Love Lucy" as an example. It looks like to me the dress that Lucy always wore was made sleeveless and shortened in the present day. We even have polka dot blazers, shoes and bags. I also own a polka dot blazer myself, as you've all seen in my past entries.  For accessories, briefcase style handbags are back in the present from the 60's. But too bad I don't have a picture of it.

There are also lots of retro style sleeves are back as well with covering most of your shoulders.  Go to the style.com (The link above) for more details and to see the retro mood board, as it is under trends/shopping and in the mood for. It is one of the most useful fashion sites. Forever 21 and The Ramp Crossings here in the Philippines are the stores that sell the most 60's/70's comebacks. Check them out at affordable prices. They are looking so chic.  




Florals were part of the 70's trend. They were part of the flower child bohemian fashion with fringes, elastic headbands and flares. Speaking of that, I finally bought a flower crown that was only PHP 80 from Carolina's at Market! Market!




Look at more present trends at style.com!,

Monica JLL Seet (Candyica)

"The Old is the current new"
-My own fashion quote of the day

P.S. I would also recommend reading The Buzz on Fashion by Lori Newcomb and Rusty Fischer. 
It tells you about how fashion evolved from the 40's to the 90's. I found it useful for my Contemporary Fashion class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment